Re: Legal advice regarding the NEW queue

Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2022 at 09:18:07AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I would hate to entirely lose the quality review that we get via NEW,
>> but I wonder if we could regain many those benefits by setting up some
>> sort of peer review system for new packages that is less formal and
>> less bottlenecked on a single team than the current NEW processing
>> setup.

> What do you think, would it be more or less staffed than the current RFS
> review process?

Good point, it probably would be about the same.  The fundamental problem
we have is that we don't have enough packaging resources to keep up with
demand.  My intuition is that the resources we do have could be allocated
with more impact than the comprehensive copyright NEW review (honestly,
I'd rather rely on tools like licensecheck as much as possible and live
with occasional bugs, since I'm not convinced the bugs are serious enough
to warrant special attention above and beyond any other bug), but it's
true that this won't change the basic resource constraint, just move
around what we spend resources on.