Re: Legal advice regarding the NEW queue

Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> writes:

> For what it is worth I concur with everything that Russ has written, and
> would like to have us look at this again (and that's honestly not
> particularly because I currenly have the honour of the 6th-oldest
> package in NEW (8 months) :-) In general I have found NEW valuable as
> FTP-masters sometimes spot things that I missed, but the delay, and
> perhaps worse, the highly uncertain length of the delay (anything from a
> day to a year), is a significant cost and drag, and it seems
> increasingly anachronistic as the rest of the software ecosystem seems
> to accelerate around us (not entirely a good thing, of course). Who
> needs quality when you can have updates, eh?

I would hate to entirely lose the quality review that we get via NEW, but
I wonder if we could regain many those benefits by setting up some sort of
peer review system for new packages that is less formal and less
bottlenecked on a single team than the current NEW processing setup.