Re: What are desired semantics for /etc/shells?

Hello,

Helmut Grohne, on 2021-06-24:
> I solicit feedback on this summary and approach. Barring unforseen
> issues, I plan to open a bug against debianutils to incorporate the
> change and once implemented opening bugs against all shell providers at
> normal severity to convert their add-shell/remove-shell calls to
> declarative ones and at rc-severity for not retaining local changes.
> Deferring those bugs post bullseye seems sensible to me as fixing those
> add-shell calls now and later turning them into declarative instructions
> seems like double effort. While the behaviour is not policy-compliant
> now, the number of people running into it must be fairly small.

Thanks Helmut for having taken the time to formalize this.  I do
appreciate Guillem's proposal as well, and I agree with Sam that
your approach is sound.

Is there some place where the present code for update-shell is
hosted?  I think I caught a typo, given the unconditionnal:
> : > "$NEW_STATE_FILE"
I believe that instead of checking for the NEW_STATE_FILE here
below:
> if [ "$NOACT" = 0 ]; then
> 	if [ -e "$NEW_STATE_FILE" ]; then
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 		chmod --reference="$STATE_FILE" "$NEW_STATE_FILE"
> 		chown --reference="$STATE_FILE" "$NEW_STATE_FILE"
you probably meant to check for the existence of the STATE_FILE,
this way:
> 	if [ -e "$STATE_FILE" ]; then

In hope this helps,
Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da