Re: Proposal to create unstable-proposed-updates suite for use during freeze

> Hi,

> Problem: Currently uploading new upstream versions to unstable during freeze is discouraged. It means users using unstable don't get new updates and developers are forced to upload to experimental. Using experimental directly is risky as it can have changes not ready for unstable also.
> Proposed solution: open unstable-proposed-updates with freeze and close it when freeze is lifted. The packages in this suite can migrate to testing, this avoids manual reuploads to unstable after freeze is lifted.

+1 to this.

<disclaimer> Please do not take this otherwise </disclaimer>

For me personally, it was an enormous amount of work (+mess?) to push
all my work to unstable. Most of my work was in git, some of it in
experimental, it is also hard to keep track of everything.
And post uploading to unstable too, its hard to keep (instant) track of the
buildds+debci for several dozens of packages I uploaded, and... I'm
still not sure if everything I intended to push is indeed pushed (though
I did do a few checks by now)

I do _not_ blame _anyone_ for it, but I think having such a suite would
really help in getting everything gets in as intended, and ofcourse
reduce the work post release.
However, it'd create a bit of extra work for buildd admins, but it
-probably- is worth the effort

> Optional: create a companion testing suite say rolling which may be used during this time and a second Britney instance can manage migration to this suite.

Sounds cool as well

Nilesh