Re: ARM architectures

On Sat, Jun 05, 2021 at 07:33:20AM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2021-06-05 4:50 a.m., Christoph Biedl wrote:
> > Marc Haber wrote...
> >
> >> I'd still consider the Raspberry Pi. It's unfortunate that the binary
> >> non-free blob is already needed to boot the box even if one doesn't
> >> need/use the GPU after booting, but it is reasonably common that
> >> people care about their software on the platform, and it's also
> >> affordable and has versions with enough RAM available.
> >
> > Another point here: Since so many people use it, there's a good chance
> > even seldom-occurring hardware flaws will be found and eventually worked
> > around. An effect we saw some two decades ago with the cheap-but-
> > horrible rtl8139 network adapters.
> >
> > For me, the biggest downside of the RPi4 is the need for an extra power
> > plug as they take up to three amps - while for example a BananaPi can be
> > powered using some unused USB (<= 3.0) port.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/containers/building-an-amazon-ecs-anywhere-home-lab-with-amazon-vpc-network-connectivity/

Someone has effectively provided you with a shopping list and photographs
of something that works - all obtainable from one Raspberry Pi online
store.

> >> Many of the options pointed out by Siji Sunny are a decade old and
> >> therfore do not fill your with for a "modern" platform. I am currently
> >> in the process of fading out the Banana Pis because the platform has
> >> never really taken off and a dual core 32 bit CPU with 1 GB RAM is
> >> running out of fun these days.

Agreed.

> This is only a starting project so I'm far from having made all the
> decision.
>
> I only wanted to make the precision that I don't need the GPU and HDMI
> output as this may open some more possibility.
>
> Yes, a serial port based console is still needed, both for debugging,
> interactive booting if needed and because it's somewhat a pain to debug
> when you have absolutely no output before network is ready.
>
> I know that there's some project of creating a opensource version of the
> Raspberry Pi video core chipset. Maybe this will give me a push to think
> about the Pi. But there's also the lower power requirement of some other
> solution that interest me.
>
> I saw a board on AliExpress that offer some AllWonder A33 with 1 or 2Gb
> RAM for a really good price.
> For what I'll be doing, I could use such board and pack them 4 together
> as this give added power that you don't get by just using a board with
> more core. Two system with 4 core is better than one system with 8 core,
> at least if you only do pure maths.
>
> I'm still learning much on ARM now.

For pure maths - Debian all the way, but probably on ARM64

All best,

Andy C.