Subject: Re: Disabling automatic upgrades on Sid by default?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 08:17:18 +0000
From: Paul Sutton <paulsutton@disroot.org>
To: Leandro Cunha <leandrocunha016@gmail.com>

On 27/12/2020 06:13, Leandro Cunha wrote:
Em dom., 27 de dez. de 2020 às 03:02, M. Zhou <lumin@debian.org <mailto:lumin@debian.org>> escreveu:

    Hi folks,

    I don't quite understand the meaning of automatic upgrades on a rolling
    system such as Debian/Sid. According to my own experience, such
    automatic upgrades could be dangerous.

    Recently package ppp is pending for upgrade but it does not co-exist
    with my currently installed network-manager. Today when I was shutting
    down my machine, Gnome automatically checked the "install updates ..."
    box for me before I realized its existence. As a result, the system
    reboots and installed ppp by force, removing network-manager and break
    my system for daily use as I need network-manager for wifi-access.

    I've been a daily Sid user for at least 4 years. Automatic upgrades are
    to blame for nearly all my system troubles. And I feel very
    disappointed every time linux behaves like M$ windows.

    So, do we have a consensus on whether automatic upgrades should be
    enabled by default?

I am not an admin or very experienced user, despite using Linux for years, I think it should be up to users to run the actual update, however would a 'compromise' be some way of notifying a user that updates are available, Mint for example does this, you just click on the shield icon and go to the update tool.

Find a balance to allow more experienced users / admins to have that control and new users to help them update when needed. Make it clear why this is a feature to avoid problems. People coming from the MS Windows world where this just 'happens' but will also be aware that just starting up / shutting down windows sometimes results in the updates delaying the process.

Regards

Paul

Hi,

Although you can disable this, I usually update and do most things via the command
terminal.
Using testing I run apt daily. I like to know what is being updated in the system.

--
Cheers,
Leandro Cunha

--
Paul Sutton
https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/

Mini Debian Gaming Conference - 19-22 November 2020
https://mdco2.mini.debconf.org/