Re: Disabling automatic upgrades on Sid by default?

M. Zhou wrote:

> I don't quite understand the meaning of automatic upgrades on a rolling
> system such as Debian/Sid. According to my own experience, such
> automatic upgrades could be dangerous.

I have been automatically upgrading Debian testing 4 times daily using
the unattended-upgrades package for many years now, and automatically
pulling security upgrades from unstable (#725934). The QA processes
that Debian has for testing migration mean that it has mostly been
fine, apart from disruptive things like the Python transition, the
Firefox XUL to WebExtensions transition, GNOME shell API changes
breaking extensions or package removals due to RC bugs etc.

Fabrice BAUZAC wrote:

> I have read somewhere (where?) an advice for testing/unstable users that
> says to upgrade only when you know you will have some time to deal with
> an issue, should that occur.

I disable upgrades when traveling, this is definitely good advice.

M. Zhou wrote:

> So, do we have a consensus on whether automatic upgrades should be
> enabled by default?

I think Debian stable users should enable automatic upgrades (IIRC
that is the case now). Debian unstable/testing users should probably
only enable safe upgrades that don't remove packages.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise