Re: Release status of i386 for Bullseye and long term support for 3 years?

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 at 18:09:02 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> 3. Computers that do support MMX and SSE2, but do not support 64bit.

Right, that's basically the second use-case I mentioned, but moving the
boundary for what we do and don't support to be more modern. We could
put the boundary anywhere we want, with higher baselines letting us make
more assumptions but excluding more old hardware.

> 4. People who wrongly installed i386 on amd64-capable hardware.

You're right that this doesn't match either of the use-cases I gave. If
this one is important to us, then that's a reason to keep a complete
bootable i386 system (with bootloaders and kernels), but we could move
its baseline as high as amd64's.

> Ubuntu has a business-minded focus, which is fair enough.
> But Debian should not blindly follow whatever Canonical
> does with Ubuntu for business reasons.[3]
> [3] neither should Debian blindly do the opposite

I agree - we need to weigh up the same advantages and disadvantages
that Canonical/Ubuntu did, but we might come to a different conclusion
because our priorities (and infrastructure) are different.

    smcv