Re: CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu release cycles

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 04:25:54PM +0000, Stephan Lachnit wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> maybe you already have heard it, CentOS is basically dead now. It used to be an exact RHEL clone, but now it's kind of an RHEL beta [1].
>
> Now what does that have to do with Debian?
>
> When we look into why people use CentOS, the reason is pretty simple: it is (or was) binary-compatible with RHEL, just without the support [2].
> I was reading comments from people that use RHEL on their production, but CentOS at home or for testing, because you don't need to pay for it.
> These use cases now don't work anymore, forcing them into either paying for RHEL, or moving to a different ecosystem.

You miss that Ubuntu is already both RHEL and CentOS.

The reason why CentOS existed at all is explained at Wikipedia:
  RHEL is available only through a paid subscription service or for
  development use in a non-production environment

A CentOS-like identical rebuild of Ubuntu would be exactly the same[1]
as what you can already download free of charge and without restrictions
from every Ubuntu mirror.

> - Stephan

cu
Adrian

[1] except for branding and signing differences