Re: CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu release cycles

Hi,

> On 10 Dec 2020, at 22:25, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
>
> On Dec 10, Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
>
>>> Obviously, but I am not aware of any such FC/FCoE hardware (not just the
>>> network adapters, but also the storages).
>> Acknowledge on that problem.
>> Do know that it can and must be solved by wallet.
>> So do talk with your purchase department.
> No, this is bullshit. I have *just explained* that this cannot be solved
> by choosing a different vendors because all FC vendors are like this.

Working at a vendor supporting FC, for a time in the FC support group, I can only agree with Marco.

It's a whole different world. The compatibility matrix is king, anything on there is tested to work, anything not 'is not supported', meaning we will try to support you, but the main trust of attack is going to be 'move to a supported configuration'. Not because the vendor doesn't want to support you, but because there are too many moving pieces and we need to reduce complexity.

I have personally seen intermittent FC performance problems because the firmware of a card on an unrelated host had one 'cosmetic change only' patch applied.

OTOH FC equipment often had uptimes measured in multiple years, with non-disruptive upgrades happening over the lifetime of the hardware. And, if properly designed and maintained, will not drop or delay even a single packet.

Groetjes, Peter