Re: [External] Re: Intel SOF audio firmware packaging

Hi Paul,

On 08/12/2020 21:16, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 3:04 PM Mark Pearson wrote:
>
>> From my point of view (admittedly limited) there is limited benefit to
>> building your own unsigned firmware as it won't load on our systems.
>
> According the discussion I had with Lenovo and Intel folks, Intel
> Baytrail/Cherrytrail/Broadwell systems have support for loading
> unsigned firmware. If anyone owns hardware from these generations, I
> encourage you to work on packaging the unsigned firmware, or to give
> it to someone willing to do so.

To my knowledge we don't have any platforms with those CPUs so I
wouldn't have the ability to test it. I also don't think I'd be a good
candidate for that kind of exercise (both in terms of experience and time).

For Lenovo platforms I'd be looking at Whiskeylake, Cometlake and
Tigerlake based (using SOF), and my understanding was the signed
firmware is required. At least when I've tried unsigned previously the
firmware does not load.

If somebody more knowledgeable can correct me (with details) that would
be great.

Mark