Re: [External] Re: Intel SOF audio firmware packaging

Thanks Vincent,

On 07/12/2020 09:03, Vincent Bernat wrote:
  ❦  7 décembre 2020 08:57 -05, Mark Pearson:

I'd like to solve the lack of Intel SOF audio firmware & topology
files being available on Debian - I know it's impacting a lot of users
on some of the newer Thinkpads. I figured I should have a stab at this
exercise myself and see what happens.

I did a bit of reading this weekend, and started the process. Having
created appropriate files under a debian sub-dir, and messed around a
bit, now when running 'debuild -us -uc' from the 1.6 cloned branch of
the sof-bin git repo I end up with a .deb file that I can install and
makes audio work. Feels like progress :)

There are plenty of warnings along the way, and it's my first time
doing this so I'm sure I'm doing all sorts of things wrong (there
seems like a lot of different options on how to do this); but I
figured I have a good starting point. I wasn't sure where to go with
this next.

Is there anybody in the Debian community with the expertise to spend a
bit of time guiding me through the next steps? I think I need someone
who can review what I have done and point out where it needs
fixing/improving. Once it's good enough then I think I need someone to
help me actually get it uploaded and into Debian. There is a bug
already available (https://bugs.debian.org/960788) if that helps.
Obviously happy to share all the work I've done in an appropriate
format if that helps too.

Note - I'm new to packaging, I'm not a SOF expert and I'm not a DM or
a DD - so someone with patience for dumbass questions would be a
bonus.

Hello Mark,

I can help you, using the easy way: shipping binary firmwares as
non-free. I don't think this is worth the effort trying to compile from
source while it is not possible to use the compiled firmwares.
I agree - I went the non-free route as my understanding is from a practical point of view, that's what makes sense to use the firmware on most PCs. At least it does on Lenovo's.

I figure for people who need/want to use non intel signed firmware they
probably have their own hardware and know more about SOF firmware than me.

I'm not really sure what other vendors do but I know in Lenovo's case the signed firmware is a requirement that I can't change.

You can either use salsa.debian.org or mentors.debian.net to expose your
current work. Tell me if it means something for you or if I need to
explain.

I replied to Jonathan's email, so at the risk of having two threads, I did just upload what I have here:

https://salsa.debian.org/mpearson/sof-bin-packaging

Let me know if that doesn't work as a starting point, very happy to change it for whatever works best for Debian folk.

Thanks
Mark