Re: Epoch version for golang-github-gomodule-redigo-dev?

* Clément Hermann [Thu Nov 26, 2020 at 02:19:38PM +0100]:
> On 26/11/2020 09:31, Paul Gevers wrote:

> > As it seems not unreasonable to expect the upstream version to go past
> > 2.0.0 in the not infinite future, this is the approach I would take.
> > Because you ask here, it suggests to me that doing this has some pain
> > for the packaging that you didn't elaborate on. Why do you even raise
> > the question here on debian-devel and don't just do this established way
> > of fixing these kind of temporarily versioning issues in Debian?

> Well, I was the one suggesting Michael start a discussion on
> debian-devel about it, so I thought I'd chime in.
[...]

> An epoch might be overkill here, but also seems more appropriate to me
> since we have to work around upstream decision in this case. And since
> the Policy states it needs to be discussed first here, I suggested to do
> just that.

ACK and thanks.

> I do agreee that the best and most logical thing would be for upstream
> to start using 3.0, as Simon pointed out. Michael, did you bring this
> issue upstream ? Would you suggest this option to them ? If they're
> willing to do that in a reasonable timeframe, we could go the +really
> route and wait until 3.0 is available upstream. Otherwise, we can go for
> an epoch if we reach consensus here.

Yes, raising the version to v3.0 was brought up within
https://github.com/gomodule/redigo/pull/440, which was referred to
from https://github.com/gomodule/redigo/issues/532, quoting Steven
Hartland (one of the upstream maintainers of redigo) from there:

| See the conversation on #440 but in short major version bumps in gomod are painful for users :(

So I'm afraid this won't happen "soon". :-/

> Thanks to everyone participating, by the way!

+1 also from my side, great feedback - thanks Paul, Holger, Mattia and Simon!

So AFAICS we agree to fix the situation via an epoch upload.

regards
-mika-