Re: MariaDB 10.5 has entered Debian testing (will be in Bullseye)

On 11/26/20 7:35 PM, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:

> to 26. marrask. 2020 klo 18.45 Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org
> <mailto:zigo@debian.org>> kirjoitti:
>
>     Hi Otto,
>
>     On 11/26/20 4:44 PM, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
>     > Hello!
>     >
>     > MariaDB 10.5 release 1:10.5.8-3 finally entered Debian testing
>     > today[1]. It has been in unstable since early September, and the work
>     > on the successor of 10.3 in Debian started already in January (with
>     > 10.4 which then turned into 10.5 as upstream released it this spring).
>
>     Thanks for maintaining MariaDB in Debian.
>
>     Do you happen to know the procedure for upgrading a Galera cluster of 3
>     MariaDB nodes from 10.3 to 10.5? Is this formalized in some doc
>     anywhere?
>

> You can do a live rolling upgrade. New hosts with Galera 4 can join a
> running Galera 3 cluster one by one, but once upgrade starts no new old
> hosts can join anymore, only leave.
>
> https://www.slideshare.net/ottokekalainen/debconf-2020-whats-new-in-mariadb-server-105-and-galera-4#34
> <https://www.slideshare.net/ottokekalainen/debconf-2020-whats-new-in-mariadb-server-105-and-galera-4#34>
>
> https://galeracluster.com/library/documentation/upgrading.html
> <https://galeracluster.com/library/documentation/upgrading.html>
>
> MariaDB 10.4 intoduced Galera 4, so this applies for MariaDB 10.3
> (Galera 3) -> 10.5 ((Galera 4) upgrades as well:
> https://mariadb.com/kb/en/upgrading-from-mariadb-103-to-mariadb-104-with-galera-cluster/
> <https://mariadb.com/kb/en/upgrading-from-mariadb-103-to-mariadb-104-with-galera-cluster/>

So, if I understand well, if I have 3 MariaDB Buster nodes in a cluster,
I just need to dist-upgrade them to Bullseye, and it will automagically
just work and upgrade to Galera 4? If so, that's just great, because
during our last discussion in Brazil, you told me about something a way
more risky (ie: turn off 2 nodes, upgrade the 3rd one, then upgrade node
1 and 2).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)