Re: Epoch version for golang-github-gomodule-redigo-dev?

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 10:32:20AM +0100, Paul Gevers wrote:
> If I recall correctly, the issue with epoch's is not it's ugliness.

#891216 doesn't come with any justification (except that they are
often misunderstood and unneeded, which actually is a fine
justification to ask before using but which is not a good justification
against using them at all) and while both #891216 and
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q:_What_are_version_epochs_and_why_and_when_are_they_needed.3F
mention technical difficulties they both fail to describe them.

The FAQ comes close when stating: "An epoch is both confusing to
users and distracting as it clutters the version string, and
technically problematic, and it's a permanent stigma denoting
that someone along the chain messed up." to which I'd reply that
1.2.3+really0.1.2+GITXYZ+DFSG-1 is equally confusing and distracting
and often also become a almost permanent stigma.

The technical problems I'm are aware of are that a.) version numbers
(with and without epoch) need to be unique, so if you had 0:2.0.0-1
you are not allowed to ever have 1:2.0.0-1 again. That's enforced
by dak however.

The other technical problem is that .deb filenames don't contain
the epoch, which is a problem the archive (and the ecosystems
aound) has a few hundred times already so tools and people cope
with it already, eg:

Package: bind9
Version: 1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1+deb10u2
Filename: pool/updates/main/b/bind9/bind9_9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1+deb10u2_amd64.deb

(which btw I consider an ugly version number but hardly due to the "1:"
but because of the rest.)

So my conclusion is: try to avoid epochs (because they are forever) but use
them if sensible. (-> if a package goes from 2.0 to 1.8.3 *maybe* an epoch
can be avoided, but if a package goes from 42 to 0.23 I'd be very inclined
to use an epoch.) - and in any case consult -devel@ and see what this lot
has to say.

--
cheers,
	Holger

 ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
 ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁       holger@(debian|reproducible-builds|layer-acht).org
 ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ PGP fingerprint: B8BF 5413 7B09 D35C F026 FE9D 091A B856 069A AA1C
 ⠈⠳⣄

Stop saying that we are all in the same boat.
We’re all in the same storm.
But we’re not all in the same boat.