Re: move to merged-usr-only?

On Sat, 2020-11-21 at 02:01 +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 7:35 PM Simon McVittie wrote:
>
> > Package-by-package migration touches a large number of packages
>
> By my count there are 1712 binary packages from X source packages
> installing things outside /etc /usr /var

The goal is to have /bin and /usr/bin to have identical contents.  If
one wishes to achieve that via symlinks for every single binaries, you
not only need symlinks in /bin for binaries previously there, but moved
to /usr/bin, but also for binaries that already are in /usr/bin.

So one would need a new /bin/python3 -> /usr/bin/python3 symlinks in
addition to the /bin/bash -> /usr/bin/bash symlink discussed here. This
affects many more packages.

Starting a 10-year[1] migration for the small part (move bash to
/usr/bin, add /bin/bash -> /usr/bin/bash) symlink, then maybe[2] start
*another* *multi-year) migration after that, and then getting there
isn't a great outlook for me.  (At that time migration to merged-/usr
for the remaining systems would no longer be a worry either way as
presumably only very few installations without merged-/usr would exist
anyway and no migration would be needed, i.e., like the i386 -> amd64
cross-upgrade nobody really worries about any more.)

Ansgar

  [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/11/msg00354.html
  [2]: cf. OpenSuSE or suggestions to never do that and instead wait
       until nobody uses /bin/sh any longer.  If you suggest to do
       package-by-package migrations, please at least argue why Debian
       wouldn't end in the same in-between state as SuSE.