Re: A Small Organisation Server as a Debian Pure Blend

On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 19:48 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 11:06 +0000, John Lines wrote:
>
> > I believe/hope it should be possible to this type of thing another
> > way,
> > and that a technical sysadmin should not be needed.
>
> You would still need a sysadmin to do the hardware, OS and software
> setup, fixes, tweaks, replacement, etc.

At that level the paid sysadmin would be the hosting provider from
which the host was rented, which might be Amazon, or a independent.

Within the system, apt automatic updates seem to be doing a pretty good
job now. The tricky part is major version upgrades, which Debian does
pretty well - I think - although the system I am writing this on was
installed with wheezy and has been updated through all the releases
since, and is now running bullseye, I usually - like now, jump to a
testing release before the freeze. I have done upgrades from one stable
release to another, and think they should be OK.

Most people running on Windows used to just buy a new server every
major release, which kept everybody (hardware sales and Microsoft)
quite happy