Re: Split Packages files based on new section "buildlibs"

On 11/9/20 11:36 PM, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> [4] We first thought about an entire new archive, but that is much more
>    separate, creating a higher workload on maintaining it.
>    Additionally, it would create problems following the licenses of
>    packages. Then we thought about a new component besides
>    main/contrib/non-free, and while that works better, it still has
>    many negative side effects including requiring extra package
>    uploads, extra tracking for the release team and requiring multiple
>    components if we later decide that we need to support this for all
>    of main, contrib and non-free.

Hi Joerg,

First of all, thanks for working on this, and caring for the size of the
indices, which will greatly benefit our users.

I'm sorry but I don't understand everything here. If we aren't going to
have new components like main/contrib/non-free, how will it work? We
main contain a new Packages.{gz,xz} file containing these? I'm guessing
that it's not just a modification to that file, because you wrote the
goal is to diminish its size...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)