Re: debian names

On 08/11/2020 21:41, Jérémy Lal wrote:
Using toy story names for debian releases surely isn't free from any disney/pixar license ?
Or is it ?

Given we have been using them for nearly 30 years (scary eh), I don't think they are going to bother too much.

I think trademarks only become an issue when the names get confused, with another product, or a company is just in to bullying others over a name.

There was a company called Utube here (UK) (made tubes) that got sued by youtube, and a pub, with a lord of the rings related name (was there before the movies were made) that got sued by the people who made the movies.

Some companies are like that, they lack common sense. How do we know that disney are not using Debian on their cluster things to render the movies.

Plus anyone goto disney world and other parks and get their pic taken with a character while wearing a debian t-shirt, :) I haven't but maybe people have.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton, Cert ContSci (Open)
https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/