Re: The "which -s" flag

On 31.08.20 22:19, Fabrice BAUZAC-STEHLY wrote:
> Simon McVittie writes:
>
>> which(1) is non-standardized, which is likely to be part of the reason
>> why Debian has its own implementation not shared with other Linux
>> distributions. Some other Linux distributions, for example Fedora and
>> Arch Linux, use GNU Which <https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/which/> and
>> that doesn't seem to support the -s option either (but does support a lot
>> of other non-standard options). Adding a -s option to the debianutils
>> implementation of `which` will help your scripts to run on Debian and
>> (eventually) Debian derivatives like Ubuntu, but won't help your scripts
>> to run on Fedora or Arch.
>
> Is there a reason why Debian doesn't use GNU Which?  Sounds like
> unnecessary maintenance to me...

Well, it looks like GNU which was last updated in 2015 (both tarball and
CVS) and despite GNU redirecting to a github.io page it doesn't look
like there is any more up-to-date repository of it either. So I'm not
sure if maintenance is a great argument here. Although I will note that
Archlinux does not actually patch it.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern