Re: RFC: Final update of DEP-14 on naming of git packaging branches

Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> writes:
> On 2020-08-30 at 14:46, Richard Laager wrote:

>> Using debian/sid makes the branch name inconsistent with
>> debian/changelog, which traditionally uses "unstable" not "sid".

> There no need to have consistency between a git branch name and
> debian/changelog saying where to upload.

There is no *need* in the sense that the lack of correspondance will not
break anything technically, but these sorts of little inconsistencies and
arcana add friction, confusion, and irritation for people who don't work
with Debian regularly.  Making these sorts of things consistent does more
than it may appear at reducing the cognitive load and perceived fiddliness
of packaging, and therefore can help new packagers feel comfortable more
quickly.

It also creates the possibility for tools to observe inconsistencies like
"you're packaging in a branch named experimental but your upload is
targeting unstable," which would have caught some errors that I've made
even as an experienced packager.