Re: RFC: Final update of DEP-14 on naming of git packaging branches

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 at 15:07:07 -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
> However, this is still saying that one should prefer debian/latest over
> debian/unstable, and that debian/unstable is (sort of) only for use when
> you're also uploading to experimental.

The way I think of it phrases this a bit differently: whether or not you
have a version targeting experimental right now, if you *were* uploading
to experimental, what would you do?

I think the workflow used in packaging dbus (with the newly proposed
naming: debian/unstable as default, and a debian/experimental branch
that runs ahead of it) is fine. This is good if you want to draw most
attention to the version in unstable, with experimental being for early
adopters and not recommended for general use.

I think the workflow used in packaging gnome-shell (with the newly
proposed naming: debian/latest as default, and a debian/unstable branch
that lags behind it) is *also* fine. This is good if you want to draw
most attention to the version in experimental (when there is one).

    smcv