Re: introducing an epoch for src:debian-security-support

Hi Emilio,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 01:27:55PM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> > Hence I propose to bump the epoch and introduce this versioning scheme:
> > sid: 		0:11~2020.08.17
> > bullseye: 	0:11~2020.08.17
> > and so on.
> A 0 epoch is equal to no epoch, so you need 1: here.

haha, right. I had this mail planned for some time but then wrote it rather
spontaniously when seeing a similar mail on -devel and then I forgot this detail
(which I was aware of)...

> btw why keep the dates? I'd just do something like 11-1, 10-3, 9-5... The date
> is still in the changelog if someone needs to look at it, but I don't think it
> conveys any special information here.

It makes it easier to see which suite has which content.

If I see buster has 10-3 I need to check d/changelog to see if I need to
update the package. If (I know that sid has 0:11~2020.08.20) and see that
buster has 0:10~2020.08.17 and I know the change in 0:11~2020.08.20 was
about stretch, I know - without looking - that I don't need to update
the buster package.

> Anyway that's up to you. The epoch sounds
> good to me to disentangle the updates as most of the time updates to d-s-s need
> to happen to older releases, which carry older versions of packages, which are
> no longer sustainable to maintain.

yup.

Thanks for your feedback!

--
cheers,
	Holger

Moral, truth, long term- and holistic thinking seem to mean nothing to us. The
emperors are naked. Every single one. It turns out our whole society is just
one big nudist party. (Greta Thunberg about the world reacting to the corona
crisis but not reacting appropriatly to the climate crisis.)