Re: debian sid --> lxde

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 01:44:14 -0300, Tiago Zaniquelli wrote:
> After [configuring unstable apt sources] I executed apt-update and apt
> full-upgrade, so after that show me
> that the "wicd" will removed, but I can't do that because if I do that I
> will lost the program that configure my WiFi.
>
> So How I do to resolve that?

Either switch to something other than wicd (network-manager is a popular
alternative), or help the maintainers of wicd to fix the release-critical
bugs that prevent it from being installed in unstable (#885140, #938823,
#956159, #947589).

The underlying problem is that wicd was developed against Python 2, GTK 2
and PyGTK, which are no longer maintained (PyGTK was deprecated in early
2011 and was recently removed from Debian).

The upstream bug requesting porting to Python 3, GTK 3 and PyGI is
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/wicd/+bug/878417>, but it was opened in late
2011 and does not seem to have had significant activity since then.

    smcv