Re: Idea: frontend tool for more efficient license reviewing based on tree-structured IR

On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 01:56:07 +0000
Mo Zhou <lumin@debian.org> wrote:

> [...]
> My idea
> -------
>
> ## Motivations

I've had similar motivations. Since becoming a Trainee, I've found the review
process to be rather painful. I think the slow and klunky tools we use are a
big problem and likely contribute significantly to the burnout this team sees.

> ## Core

It sounds like we have similar ideas--a bit of automated review, and more
convenient manual review.

> How to proceed
> --------------
>
> * a group of interested contributors.
>
> * GSoC / Outreachy sounds good.
>
> Several months ago I've already started a python script based on this idea.
> I'm struggling with UI programming (I'm really not good in this area).
> Specifically, when I found myself stuck at adding custom keybinding under the
> urwid framework, I postponed the idea indefinitely.
>
> [1] -project: "Do we still value contributions?"
> [2] -project: "possibly exhausted ftp-masters"

I started a similar effort when I first became a trainee. Unfortunately, a lot
of our non-trainees seem to be burned out, which means no reviews, and no
reviews means a lack of confidence in whatever system I'm building.

I can handle basic UI design and know a couple people that are very good at it.
I'm also able to host some infrastructure for what I have in mind. Can you
share the source you've been working on? I'm currently turning my notes into
something a bit more intelligible.

--
Michael Lustfield