Re: Namespaces for Lintian Tags

Hello Felix,

Thanks to you and others for working on this.

On Wed 20 Nov 2019 at 09:55AM -08, Felix Lechner wrote:

> For example, the tag
> 'debian-copyright-file-uses-obsolete-national-encoding' might become
> 'national-encoding@debian/copyright'.
>
> [...]
>
> The change is technically easy. (Lintian even has a way to track
> renamed tags for overrides.) On an optical level, however, the change
> will affect a lot of people. It could even cause headaches for some
> users, for example in derivatives. We would like to solicit your
> input.

I hope that the change to the tag names could be done in such a way that
the tag names do not become less descriptive.

Right now it is nice to be able to read a tag name, and often know what
it means, without having to look at the long text for the tag.  I hope
that can remain true.

For example, I would request obsolete-national-encoding@debian/copyright
rather than national-encoding@debian/copyright.

--