Re: please avoid writing useless/annoying stuff in debian/gbp.conf

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:37:06AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> writes:
>
> > Yes, and that's why I use debian/master instead of debian/buster or
> > debian/bullseye.  :-)
>
> > When I do create debian/buster (once it became the stable branch), the
> > first thing I did after I branched off debian/buster from debian/master
> > was to edit debian/gbp.conf was to have:
>
> > debian-branch=debian/buster
>
> > I only do this when I need to do the first stable backport of a
> > serious/security bug, such that I have to create the debian/buster
> > branch in the first place.  So it hasn't been all that annoying for me.
>
> +1 this is my approach too.

I fully agree that

    debian-branch=debian/RELEASE
    debian-branch=debian/RELEASE-backports

is in the (partly unwritten) team policy of all teams I know for
backports and security updates.  Otherwise it is master (sometimes
debian/master).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--