Re: Usage of DEP5

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 06:07:46AM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Andreas> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:32:09PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
>     >> > I'd like to suggest this recommendation could be of the same
>     >> strength as > the "use salsa" recommendation, i.e., weaker than
>     >> the dh recommendation, > and directed at people with no reasons
>     >> to prefer either who are > wondering which to use.
>     >>
>     >> I was not aware of a difference in strength between the two
>     >> recommendation [0]
>
>     Andreas> I also was not aware that there are different strengths of
>     Andreas> recommendation. ;-)
>
> I think we'd all be kind of confused if someone started filing bugs
> because a package was not in salsa.

OK, I agree that this makes a technical difference between the two
recommendations.

>     Andreas> Definitely.  Moreover, may be I have missed it but the
>     Andreas> question to some example where the free form text is easier
>     Andreas> to read than the machine readable one was not answered yet.
>     Andreas> I'm keen on reading this.
>

> It sounds like there's a proposal here with some support.
> does someone want to facilitate this discussion?
>
> * Pay attention to any issues that get brought up
>
> * Summarize at the end
>
> * If there is consensus to make a recommendation, figure out where it
>   should go and file a bug  pointing to the summary.
>
> I don't think facilitating the discussion should obligate someone to
> write text for dev ref or policy or Shepherd things through those
> processes.
> Although obviously, the more work you put into it, the faster things
> might happen.

Since I somehow started the discussion I would draw some kind of
obligation out of it.  Unfortunately I'm suffering from some vacation
backlog and will enter a Bioinformatics sprint next week which will
probably not leave me any spare minute for this.

In short: I'm not up for this for the next two weeks but I'd happily
support by proof-reading if somebody would be faster than me.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de