>      2016 Chris Cross
>     License: AAA and BBB and CCC

>     License: AAA
>      You may do some things

>     License: BBB
>      You may do some other things

>     License: CCC
>      You may do different things

> (I haven't re-read the copyright format spec recently, so I don't know
> whether the spec actually allows this, and I don't know whether Lintian
> warns about it - but I feel as though it ought to be allowed.)

It does, Lintian shouldn't warn, and yes, that's probably a smart idea for
most packages.  Note that Policy also now explicitly says that, if the
work involves significant time and effort, you don't need to collect
copyright notices unless the license requires that you preserve them,
which can also help.

> I agree, but there's a limit to how far we can move in that direction
> without the ftp team clarifying their requirements.

I would be very happy if someone on ftp-master would take on the project
of writing the Policy text for what needs to be included in
debian/copyright.  Attempts to clarify in the past usually turn into a
game of telephone.  It's really a policy set by and enforced by
ftp-master, so it would be awesome if that team would write it.