Re: Usage of DEP5

Hello,

On Thu 07 Nov 2019 at 01:36AM -05, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> Although I use it for simple packages, for complex ones I think it makes
> debian/copyright maintenance much harder (many more things to get wrong).
> It's totally optional and should absolutely stay that way.
>
> The purpose of debian/copyright is to support license compliance.  Anything
> beyond that isn't relevant to its purpose within Debian.  While I recognize
> that the structured format has benefits for some people, I don't think it
> matters much within the project.

I agree with this assessment.

DEP-5 is the fastest way to write a d/copyright in some cases, but in
others it is not.  Part of this is that DEP-5 somewhat encourages people
to include more detail than is needed.

I think we should be optimising for reduced contributor time spent on
this task.

--
Sean Whitton