Re: Integration with systemd

Simon Richter writes:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 07:40:52PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> There's no need to do that. If a backported package is using such
>> features, then it just should depend on the correct version of systemd.
>> You may have seen that systemd 242 is already in buster-backports...
>
> Yes, that's one of the questions I have asked: is systemd a core system
> component that we want to provide a stable release for, or is it one of the
> peripheral packages that users can upgrade to a backported version if they
> need a new feature, or has Debian relaxed its standards to accomodate
> systemd?

I guess it can work the same as for src:linux?  That is a core system
component, but users can upgrade to a backported version.

I don't think Debian has relaxed its standards to accomodate linux.

systemd isn't any different from other packages.

> Regardless of whether Debian wants to have diverse init systems or
> standardize on one, we need to have a clear position on what kind of
> support users can expect for the stable release. If a significant fraction
> of users runs a backported systemd, can we provide security updates for
> them, or will we shunt these users onto a "rolling release" track, and if
> yes, who manages that track?

Currently the systemd maintainers also maintain a backport for systemd.

Ansgar