Re: Perhaps we're rehashed enough of the systemd discussions?

Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:

> Scott is refering to Wouter's "prepare a GR proposal in private".

> So a secret _preparation_ announced publicly which triggering the
> thread.

I frequently run ideas past a small number of people before posting them
to a large audience just to make sure I don't make some stupid mistake.
For highly political topics, that's even more important because opening a
public discussion with something that doesn't get at the actual problem or
misrepresents one side can cause a lot of noise and confusion and derail
the attempt to solve the real problem.

If you're trying to resolve a contentious dispute between (at least) two
groups of people, giving them a heads-up first and making sure that you're
being fair to their arguments is a pretty reasonable way to start.

I think people are reading a bit too much into this.  If anything, the
problem was that Sam was extremely transparent about what he was preparing
to do next, which prematurely started the conversation (for which I'm as
responsible as anyone else).  We were going to have the conversation
anyway; I'm sure Sam wasn't planning on posting a GR and immediately
calling for a vote.