Re: Perhaps we're rehashed enough of the systemd discussions?

On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 11:16:15AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > I'm wrong, but even before it's been published, I feel like it's already
> > caused people to become more firmly entrenched in their existing positions.
>
> I was sceptical whether a GR on systemd at this point in time was
> useful, but Russ convinced me it is. (I was and am quite annoyed by yet
> another systemd thread on -devel the last weeks, and I now think that
> Russ is right that a GR will finally allow us to move forward on this
> topic.)

Same here.  I was initially skeptical, because I was hoping that the
status quo without a vote would be, "Debian maintainers should make
best effort attempts to accomodate Alternative Init Systems (AIS);
people who want to work on accomodating AIS should do so; Debian
Developers should try not to make things worse for AIS."  My hope was
that in a few years, it would become clear what the right outcome
should be, based on the actions of the overall Linux and Open Source
ecosystem.

But it's become clear that we don't have consensus that this is what
the status quo is, or should be.  And perhaps having a GR will allow
us to at least get a good sense of what the overall project believes
to be the best path forward.

						- Ted