Re: Perhaps we're rehashed enough of the systemd discussions?

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 3:26:40 PM EST Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Wouter> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 03:45:47PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>     >> http://www.islinuxaboutchoice.com/
>
>     Wouter>
> https://grep.be/blog/en/computer/cluebat/Systemd__Devuan__and_Debian/
>
>     Wouter> -- To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're
>     Wouter> happy
>
> Hi.  We've received a lot of feedback about the negative costs of long
> threads here.
> I think that some aspects of the discussion were necessary and
> inevitable.
> It sounds like the discussion has helped some people understand why a GR
> might be a good idea.
> It has helped me sanity check whether I was including issues important
> to the project.
>
> I think that we'll need to discuss a few other things once again when
> draft GR text comes out (although that will be on debian-vote).
>
> But as someone charged with helping try to facilitate discussions within
> the project, I think this particular set of related threads have reached
> the point of diminishing returns on debian-devel for now.
> If there's some last message you absolutely have to send, get that *one
> last message* out of your system.
> But let's be almost done, out of respect for everyone who has had this
> discussion before and out of the many people who have talked about the
> costs of relatively long threads like this.
>
> Thanks for considering,

Personally, I've no idea what enough is since I'm still seriously concerned
this secret GR will make a bad situation worse.  Wouter's last email really
struck a chord with me.

It's possible for us to have a reasonable init system thread on debian-devel,
but this isn't way to do it.  I felt like the discussion that ensued from me
asking about the utility of sysv init scripts in docker instances was very
helpful and I learned some things without there being too much stress of flames
being thrown.

Personally, I think your GR is highly unlikely to make things better.  I hope
I'm wrong, but even before it's been published, I feel like it's already
caused people to become more firmly entrenched in their existing positions.

Scott K