Re: Please stop hating on sysvinit (was Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?)

Dear Simon,

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:

> The sanest thing we could do in Debian is to teach start-stop-daemon
> to parse systemd .service files and pull its command line arguments
> from there, so we could use service definitions as init scripts with a
> #! line.
>
> For that to happen, we'd have to define .service files as an API
> though, which would feature-freeze them, and I'm not sure the systemd
> people would be happy about that.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I also think adding a
compatibility layer is the best way to move forward.

With more upstream packages providing systemd-.service by default, it is
more expansive for the systemd team to break the existing .service API.
We could consider it to be freezed in practice, or at least backward
compatible.

Yours,
Benda