Re: Is it the job of Lintian to push an agenda?

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 09:21:37AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> but as saying goes, "patches gratefully accepted".  Whining for developers
> to do extra work via Debian Policy is, well, not.

If patches are actually accepted, that's fine.

But this Policy item currently servers as a tool to _sometimes_ get a patch
through.  In some cases such patches get stonewalled, and if you _then_ NMU
a package in question, you can get calls for getting demoted from DD.

We released Buster basically useless in GUI mode in !systemd, despite a
solution been discussed[1] and _implemented_ in January 2018, with multiple
later submissions.  And it's not that they haven't been noticed -- the
existence of that patchset was used to justify removal of (unlamented) shim.

So even that on-paper severity is not enough to get patches accepted.
Without it, regressions would be even worse.

Meow!

[1]. Only one member of the systemd team was helpful, so this can't be
called consensus on their part -- but not for a lack of trying.
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁