Re: Is it the job of Lintian to push an agenda?

Hello,

On Sat 13 Jul 2019 at 11:10PM +02, Jérémy Lal wrote:

> the question
> "Is it the job of Lintian to push an agenda?"
> is a good question, and it would be nice to get a general answer,
> separately from the technical issue about sysvinit scripts.

I think that it is useful to Debian for Lintian to be a bit more
opinionated, and a bit less conservative, than Policy is.

Especially if you turn on all the tag levels, Lintian pushes a fairly
strong set of ideas about what packages should look like.  Most everyone
will find something they disagree with, but it gets us to think about
these things and consider whether they might be good ideas.  Over time,
tags can get turned down in severity or changes can make their way into
the Policy Manual.

Of course, if Lintian gets too far "ahead" of Policy then it would be
less useful.  What I think is useful to us is for it to be just a little
bit more pushy than Policy, as indeed it is.

--
Sean Whitton