Re: Could we generate d/control instead of working with "assembly level code" directly (was: Re: The noudeb build profile and dh-only rules files)

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019, Simon Richter wrote:
> Your proposal of generating some of the fields doesn't affect the API
> itself, as long as the fields are populated at the right time. We don't
> have a mechanism for updating the control file at build time, because any
> part of the build process that would be able to do so is after the part
> where the control file is consumed for the first time, so it would give an
> inconsistent view.

On a somewhat related topic, I filed this wishlist bug a long time ago:

The idea is to have implicit substvars at the end of every field so that
you can extend the content of the field, and possibly introduce fields
that are not present in the original source tree.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer