Re: Cron, anacron, cronie, systemd-timers

Hi,

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 19:18:17 +0200, Christian Kastner <ckk@debian.org>
wrote:
>one of the cron maintainers here, and also the cronie maintainer.

thanks for the swift answer.

>> What is the issue that keeps cronie out of unstable? If it just a matter
>> of personpower, or are there technical reasons? If it's just a matter of
>> personpower, I'd like to help.
>
>It's mainly been personpower; however, that is improving. Any additional
>help is welcome, of course.
>
>cronie was uploaded to experimental ages ago, but it's been rotting
>there ever since.
>
>My goal for it was to patch is so that it is as compatible with our
>vixie cron (which has quite a few extensions!), to make a transition
>from cron to cronie as the main cron daemon as painless as possible.

It is good to know where things are going. Would you mind if I created
a wiki page with this road map laid out about where Debian's cron
world is going? That would, though, only make sense if you could find
the time to cross-read it and add omissions and point out factual
errors.

>Over the past couple of years, I've spent a considerable amount of
>effort in converting the format to source format 3.0 (quilt), but I
>never quite finished and got distracted with other stuff. Nevertheless,
>I completed this conversion in February. I'll push it over the next few
>days (I was just waiting for buster to be released before doing anything
>drastic).

\o/

It is good to know that there is considerable work going on, most of
it being on the source code level, which is unfortunately something I
cannot be helpful because I'm not a sufficiently good C programmer. I
was not even aware that vixie cron and cronie share a common code base
that makes such a migration feasible.

>My current plan it to move from vixie cron 3.0pl1-134 directly to a
>(patched) cronie as soon as possible, so that the default daemon can be
>switched to cronie in time the next release.

Great! That is good to know. Are you using a mailing list for this
effort that I can subscribe to and see where I can be helpful? Or is
this mainly a one-man show anyway?

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |