Re: Backports needed for Firefox/Thunderbird ESR 68 in Stretch

On 02.07.19 22:45, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:

Hi,

> ESR 68 will require an updated Rust/Cargo toolchain and build dependencies not
> present in Stretch (nodejs 8, llvm-toolchain-7, cbindgen and maybe more).
> Stretch was already updated wrt Rust/Cargo for ESR 60, so there's at least no
> requirement to bootstrap stage0 builds this time.

Few days ago I had a try with newer rust/cargo version from unstable on
stretch. Unfortunately failed miserably, eg. certain libs were missing
in the source tree, and some of them even couldn't be found on upstream
git repo anymore.

Seems that rust/cargo needs a lot more attention.

> If we want to continue to have Firefox/Thunderbird supported in oldstable-security
> after October, someone needs to step up to take care of backports to a Stretch point
> release before October 22nd (or in case of poor timing, we can also release build
> dependency updates via stretch-security).

ACK. I haven't had a chance to take a deeper look at the rust/cargo
issue yet (currently too occupied with other things). If anybody could
come forward with a solution, I'd be really glad.

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
info@metux.net -- +49-151-27565287