Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 11:37 AM Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Ben Finney writes:

>>> I don't recognise the repository structure that was raised by myself
>>> and some others: A VCS repository that contains only the Debian
>>> packaging files, which at build time is then exported to a non-VCS
>>> working tree and moerged with the upstream source.

>> How do you handle needed changes to the upstream source?  Or do you
>> just never make any changes to the upstream source?

> I make the changes upstream, make a new release (or wait for upstream to
> do so) and then update the Debian package.

Yeah, that's in the "never make any changes to the upstream source" bucket
I was thinking of (since I was thinking about changes made as part of
packaging rather than upstream).

I suspect Ian is assuming that some amount of that is always necessary
when saying that "tools like Quilt" are required.  I have to admit that
I'm quite impressed that you *never* have any reason to need to do this
when packaging, since I have routinely needed to make upstream changes as
part of packaging even for packages for which I'm also the sole upstream.
(Usually they're short-term, but I've had to carry patches for a year or
two until I could find a good upstream fix that wasn't Debian-specific.)