Re: Seeking advice re: CVE-2019-13179 (insecure permissions for initramfs)

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 6:07 PM Jonathan Carter <jcc@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need some help regarding a security issue that surfaced yesterday that
> affects buster.
>
> Using the Calamares installer and full-disk encryption, sensitive
> information is stored in the initramfs, which is world readable:
>
> https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues/1191
>
> I just took a quick glance through the update-initramfs man pages and
> couldn't find anything specific for setting the initramfs permissions.

According to latest LUKS for rootfs guide [1], you can append
"UMASK=0077" to /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

[1] https://cryptsetup-team.pages.debian.net/cryptsetup/encrypted-boot.html

Cheers,
--
Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo