Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

Simon McVittie writes ("Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format"):
> The precise names of the branches are not immediately relevant to
> GitPackagingSurvey: it's the content of those branches that matters.

Thanks for this mail which I think will be very helpful.

> From https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/git.html#Patches it appears
> the Perl team is using what the survey page has labelled as "unapplied"
> (also seen referred to as "patches-unapplied" elsewhere):
>
> - a git checkout of the packaging branch contains debian/control, etc.
> - a git checkout of the packaging branch contains upstream files like
>   Makefile.PL

I wonder if it would be worth making it much clearer that the survey
page's main table is talking only about the contents of the main
packaging branch, and ...

>     default gbp branch name             DEP-14 branch name
>     (e.g. Perl and systemd teams)       (e.g. GNOME team)
>     master                              debian/master
>     stretch, etc. (not standardized)    debian/stretch, etc.
>     upstream                            upstream/latest, upstream/2.32.x, etc.
>     pristine-tar                        pristine-tar

... to discuss or even include this.

Ian.