Re: getting rid of "testing"

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 04:50:39PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 03:10:27PM +0200, Philip Hands wrote: I know +1
postings are not really welcome.

I've been looking for an excuse to write slightly more than "+1" (to Simon or
Phil's messages, in particular), but "+1" is substantively my main feeling

However, in this case:  I never really understood why we need these codenames.
IMHO some marketing thingy which I tend to ignore.  I fully agree with Phil
that these can lead to confusion and the usage should be restricted to not so
important use case.

One thing that the code names give is colour. When I was (briefly) involved in
debian-desktop stuff, the artists and suchlike enjoyed working on themes that
riffed on the codename. I remember in particular being excited about what could
be done with "Etch" and the swirl logo. So I would like to see the code names
continue to exist,

but I agree entirely that they should be reduced in importance and we should
lead with the version number.

We could consider bumping the version number up to match the current C.E. year,
abbreviated (e.g. "19") in common with what Ubuntu do, if we wanted to increase
the remember-or-computability of the current version. I do like how easy it is
to look at an existing release number and be able to establish how old it is
(aah, 18.04, was released in April 2018)

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland