Re: getting rid of "testing"

On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 14:54 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> Wouldn't it be nicer to have a reliable and simple source of version
> ordering rather than relying on ugly names and symlinks? As a bonus, it
> would be useful for a lot more things and for more than n-2
> calculations.

That doesn't seem useful for my use-case since it would mean I have to
update my chdist sources.list after every release, while using the
suite names doesn't require work after every release.

I don't think this has to be a one-or-the-other scenario where the
different use-case factions try to kill off the features used by other
factions rather than living in harmony through co-existing features.

I think we can support all use-cases quite simply by:

Keeping the existing suite names and adding new *-backports ones.

Adding a way for folks to use version-based sources.list entries.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise