Re: getting rid of "testing"

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 04:13:00PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
Andreas Tille writes ("Re: getting rid of "testing""):
 I never really understood why we need these codenames.
Simon McVittie wrote:
| Back when the release team decided on a per-release basis whether
| this was a "major" or "minor" release, we had the excuse that we had
| to use a codename for testing because we didn't know whether etch
| would be released as Debian 3.2 or Debian 4.0

I was around at the time and I have a vague recollection which roughly
matches Simon's.

Not just that: after the faux-release debacle there was a push to avoid numbers in case someone polluted one. We're much less dependent on CD vendors these days, of course.