Re: Content Rating System in Debian

Am Mi., 26. Juni 2019 um 10:40 Uhr schrieb Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@gmail.com>:

> On 25/06/19 20.19, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > [...]
>
> So APT need to do what you mention, that is determining age rating not
> only based on AppStream metadata, but also on system locale?

Yes. Since the things that determine age ratings depend on regional
(!) legislation, varying wildly between different countries or even
within countries, that is the only way.
I am currently working on a plan to centralize the age mapping in
libappstream, but tbh I do not thing that we will ever have a fully
legally sound solution for this without employing a lot of lawyers.
There is just so much stuff to take care of, and so much regional
variation, that a software solution will likely not be able to cover
all cases.

See https://hughsie.github.io/oars/ (which is used in AppStream) for
details. As the intro text says, we rely on people being honest about
things and are purely informational.

Cheers,
    Matthias