Re: getting rid of "testing"

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 03:10:27PM +0200, Philip Hands wrote:
> The version numbers are also showing up on login and desktop backgrounds
> so I'd guess the bulk of users know exactly which number they're up to,
> but a pretty vague about which codename goes with that.
>
> Oh, and for me that also applies to speech -- if you say 10 to me,
> there's no way I'll later remember 9, but if you say buster, I'm quite
> likely to remember "two sylables, begins with B".
>
> Can we not just have both?

I know +1 postings are not really welcome.  However, in this case:  I
never really understood why we need these codenames.  IMHO some
marketing thingy which I tend to ignore.  I fully agree with Phil that
these can lead to confusion and the usage should be restricted to not so
important use case.  Please leave testing as a name as is - I'm using it
most of the time on development machines and it serves a really good
purpose.  Those who do not like it can easily ignore it.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de