Re: getting rid of "testing"

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:07:51PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>>On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 8:04 PM Michael Stone wrote:
>>> Having "stable" in sources.list is broken, because one day stuff goes
>>> from working to not working, which requires manual intervention, at
>>> which point someone could have just changed the name. Having codenames
>>> in sources.list is broken, because even people who have been developers
>>> for two decades can't remember which release is which without looking it
>>> up. (Which is harder than it should be; maybe we should have had
>>> /etc/debian-releasenames or somesuch from the beginning. lsb_release -a
>>> is helpful when available but doesn't have context, and many users don't
>>> know it exists.)
>>
>>Personally, I can remember the names and their order much better than
>>which version goes with which codename or suite :)
>
> Well, every problem domain has its rainman :) For the rest of us,
> there's google.

Personally, I use wikipedia's page about debian revisions, and it's not
that uncommon an event for me to need to look that up just to make sure
I've not made a stupid typo.

I like the idea of adding the list of releases somewhere (probably under
/usr/share/doc though, and including dates for start and end of support
etc. perhaps)

Cheers, Phil.