Re: getting rid of "testing"

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 4:39 PM Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 2:08 PM Ansgar wrote:
>
> > what do people think about getting rid of current suite names ("stable",
> > "testing", "unstable") for most purposes?  We already recommend using
> > codenames instead as those don't change their meaning when a new release
> > happens.
>
> I use these (testing, etc) so getting rid of them would be annoying.

I also should mention that I use all of stable stable-updates
proposed-updates and the equivalents for old/oldold. I have them in
the apt sources of a chdist so I can easily look up old versions, do
apt-file searches on old versions, look up non-amd64 architecture info
etc.

I would also love to have stable-backports be a thing, so I don't have
to change my chdist apt sources from codename1-backports to
codename2-backports   every time a release happens.

I use chdist for when I'm offline or when I want to see what is on the
mirrors, since rmadison shows the ftp-master view.

PS: apt-venv is another option for this use-case.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise